Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

August Research

Started by Parasaurolophus, August 02, 2021, 10:47:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 13, 2021, 12:52:24 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 13, 2021, 08:50:44 AM
Back to fixing that sample chapter today.

Done!

Back to the R&R now, I guess. I don't much feel like it, however.

Managed to do a bit. I really only have one tricky thing left to fix, but it's gonna take a decent bit of mental energy to figure out. And I, meanwhile, just had a total brainfart and couldn't remember how to calculate the midpoint between two natural numbers. =/

So... I'm clearly not gonna fix it in the next half hour!
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

You've clearly got to get the hatchling up to speed on some of this stuff.

I mean, kids in colonial times turned the spit and gathered the eggs.

What else are they for?

;--》

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

darkstarrynight

Yesterday on the R&R due 8/20, one co-author got a lot of revisions done so I went in and worked on it. The other co-author promised to work on this early next week, so we will be done soon! I also started cutting down the manuscript for the "lay language" piece that needs to get done this coming week too. The graduate research assistant I had on this grant was in town for hu's doctoral residency week last week and I took hu to lunch/met in person for the first time! I also have two of my classes ready for Fall. This week I need to get everything else ready for Fall and anticipate getting the manuscript due 9/1 back from my co-author to work on as well.

Parasaurolophus

Despite the computer trouble, I managed to get a paper cut down and sent to a conference (today was the deadline).
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

I'm impressed!

I got tiny bits done yesterday, today's time frame for more seems to be closing in, might have to be more bits tomorrow.

Other work did get done, so that's to the good, though...

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

I'll try to work on the R&R today.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

I got the manuscript due 9/1 back from my colleague over the weekend, so I need to get my part done. It will not be until next week unfortunately. I was really unhappy today when our book chapter editor told us our chapter is perfect, and now needs to be cut down 2,500+ words! After three submissions and all praise, we never were given a word count until after the fact. Get this: the chapter must be cut down and resubmitted by THIS FRIDAY. UGH. I cut down 1,000 words and sent it to one of the coauthors, who is also an editor on this book. Hu claimed there was flexibility when the chapter content is important, but hu is not allowed to be "our editor" since hu is an author on this chapter. I also have the manuscript revision due Friday and the lay language newsletter piece adapted from my recent publication due next week. I cannot wait until August is over!

mamselle

That's truly stressful.

Sorry to hear about all the collisions of good intentions with mis/no information.

Not nice, not fair, yuk.

As one might have noticed on the venting thread, my good intentions were swallowed up by computer issues....politely put.

I did at least find a way to stop the pictures from being "left out" for "my benefit" or "my safety" or whatever.

I hate nannying software.

I'm the human!!

M.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 16, 2021, 08:31:44 AM
I'll try to work on the R&R today.

Pretty good progress today. I'm figuring out this last hard thing to deal with.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

We got it cut down 1,700 words and submitted it last night. The editor told the managing editor it can be final at 800 words over. Whew. I need to get back to the other manuscript due Friday, but I still do not have one of my courses ready for the semester so I have to prioritize that first. Today I am meeting with various amazing people on campus who are giving my student research assistant access to digitization equipment for my major long-term project.

mamselle

Parasaurolophus

More R&R today, if and when time allows.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

More tiny bits done. Teaching soon.

M.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 17, 2021, 11:17:18 AM
More R&R today, if and when time allows.

Managed some. I imagine I'll manage none tomorrow.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

I may transcribe/translate a buncha Latin pages I keep returning to in bits and pieces, just to sped the cross-referencing along when I get to the footnotes.

I have no students today, so it's a good "long-muscles" task to address for the day.

More Ppt work, and a tiny bit of tweaking on my student's choir booklet will function as side veggies to flavor the day, I think.

That will do it for me.

M.