Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

IHE: Tenure: The Black Box

Started by Wahoo Redux, May 19, 2022, 08:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

I'm just curious what people think about this story:

Tenure: The Black Box.  Recent Tenure Denial Cases Raise Questions

At first read, I didn't have a lot of sympathy with the plaintiffs. 

He'd also entered Penn State having published a book, Curt Flood in the Media: Baseball, Race, and the Demise of the Activist-Athlete, with the University Press of Mississippi, for which he assumed he'd receive credit toward tenure. Yet during a review two years into his shortened probationary period at Penn State, the then dean of the college said in order to achieve tenure, Khan should publish a second monograph.

Dr. Khan didn't know that already?  Isn't the 2nd book kind of a given for tenure at an R1?

In early 2020, however, the collegewide promotion and tenure committee recommended against tenure for Khan, based on his research profile. And the new dean, Clarence Lang, himself a professor of African American studies, agreed with that committee.

Well...that kind of says it...I guess.  But...

he remains concerned about his former colleagues at Penn State, particularly in the African American studies department. While Lang, the new dean, is part of the department, Khan said, he's failed to retain multiple Black professors who have obtained offers from elsewhere and subsequently moved on.

Lucky bastards having mobility.  I'm just not sure how these defectors are a sign of anything but being lucky bastards with mobility.

The other fella is a Yale Business prof.

Kraus's case stalled at the school level, where tenured professors from fields from accounting to operations would have weighed in.

Edieal J. Pinker, chief academic officer and deputy dean within the school, said in a statement that the bar for tenure in management is "very high" and that "most" who join the school as assistant professors don't get tenure there.

I mean, these places are famous for lopping off heads.

Just curious what y'all think.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Ruralguy

Its lucky to have mobility, but of course there are others who have mobility, but stay put because they like where they are. So, this might be indicative of being in a terrible department, from which escape is possible.

Sun_Worshiper

Hard to say, based on the article. Sometimes the regime changes and expectations change with it or maybe outside letters are so-so. On the other hand, could be something weird going on between the department and the higher ups.

In my field, Penn State is notorious for denying good people and a case built around a Mississippi book would be dangerous.

Anyway, glad he landed on his feet.

mamselle

In general, if he'd already published the book before coming to the school, it wouldn't have counted for tenure unless a specific arrangement with the committee were made in advance. Only a book produced while employed at the school itself would have been accepted under all the conditions I'm aware of (a friend with a book about to be accepted had this question come up, and was told to delay publication until after they're been officially hired).

It's not that there has to be a second book for tenure, although that should be in the works in some places, as well, but that the first book has to be a product of one's time in the tenure-granting institution.

And the book alone wouldn't do it. In some places, as was discussed not too long ago on some thread or other, if you're not listed by your letter-writers as within the top three globally in your field or sub-field, you're not accepted.

One place I know only wanted the top two--and only the very first was a shoe-in, in their estimation...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Mobius

One of the pet peeves about any story involving being terminated is essentially making up reasons why someone would make a move. More money and reduced teaching load wouldn't have anything to do with it? Rationales for moves always seem to be altruistic in nature when it all comes down to how we personally benefit.

Quotebut said in an interview that he couldn't turn down an opportunity at Penn State, due to the strong reputation of its rhetoric program and the department of communication over all.

Hibush

The Penn State shows the danger of a joint appointment, if neither chair ends up being a sufficient advocate and advisor in the years leading up to tenure.