News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Extra income for professors

Started by Hibush, August 30, 2022, 06:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hibush

One doesn't often hear of professors taking bribes, especially since the grades for dollars arrangement could be such a significant supplement where faculty are woefully underpaid.

In the news today is a similar scam but in a different setting. The LA Times reports that three UCLA orthodontics professors were billing some stuents extra fees (on top of an asounding tuition) and pocketing the money.  "professors targeted Middle Eastern students believing their wealthy government sponsors could — and would — pay for it."

I doubt these professors were underpaid. But they are free of university restrictions now.

A little googling revealed that UCLA was accused of taking kickbacks for admission to the orthodonics program in 2007 as well.

Wahoo Redux

Now that I've been busted back to PT I'm considering organized crime of some sort.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

mahagonny

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on August 30, 2022, 06:41:51 PM
Now that I've been busted back to PT I'm considering organized crime of some sort.

i can see your house from here. Needs paint.

apl68

In that case, have you looked into NFTs and cryptocurrency?  All sorts of opportunities there.

But seriously, how on Earth do things like this happen?  What a terrible black eye for UCLA.
God gave Noah the rainbow sign
No more water, but the fire next time
When this world's all on fire
Hide me over, Rock of Ages, cleft for me

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: mahagonny on August 31, 2022, 06:14:34 AM

Are you offering to paint it?  I can pay in sandwiches! 

No peeking in the windows, however!  I tend to walk about naked.

mahagonny

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on August 31, 2022, 10:07:40 AM
Quote from: mahagonny on August 31, 2022, 06:14:34 AM

Are you offering to paint it?  I can pay in sandwiches! 

No peeking in the windows, however!  I tend to walk about naked.

Don't worry about that. I am officially 'A' for asexual. I am not attracted to anyone of either/any gender, which I can prove by telling you my age, my daily dosage of antidepressants, or a conversation with my wife. I am deep in the LGBTQIA club. Move over folks, make room.

downer

I've thought of leaving a tip jar out or offering premium service to some students for a small fee. The problem is that administrators tend to be closed minded about these incoming-enhancing opportunities. As the case of the UCLA professors confirms. It's very hard to operate under the radar without leaving a trail.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Hibush

Quote from: downer on August 31, 2022, 10:50:41 AM
I've thought of leaving a tip jar out or offering premium service to some students for a small fee. The problem is that administrators tend to be closed minded about these incoming-enhancing opportunities. As the case of the UCLA professors confirms. It's very hard to operate under the radar without leaving a trail.

The internet has offered quite a few opportunities for independent premium services, where it would be technically possible for those services to come from the professor. Patreon for extra tutoring. Amazon for self published books that contain the answers. I never hear about entrepreneurial instructors using those.

apl68

Quote from: Hibush on August 31, 2022, 11:56:21 AM

The internet has offered quite a few opportunities for independent premium services, where it would be technically possible for those services to come from the professor. Patreon for extra tutoring. Amazon for self published books that contain the answers. I never hear about entrepreneurial instructors using those.

I would hope that this is not because they are covering their tracks well.

Ruralguy

Ill take a 2 million dollar bribe to change a grade. Nothing lower, considering my career can be ruined if anyone finds out.

mamselle

Quote from: apl68 on August 31, 2022, 12:36:37 PM

Hmmm....wonder if librarians could get tips for not fining overdue books?

But no-one issues fines for overdues anymore, right....

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on August 31, 2022, 01:58:32 PM
Quote from: apl68 on August 31, 2022, 12:36:37 PM

Hmmm....wonder if librarians could get tips for not fining overdue books?

But no-one issues fines for overdues anymore, right....

;--}

M.

Honestly...in the past we've had one or two circulation clerks that I wondered about.  One I was pretty sure had her hand in the cash drawer.  She's long gone, and we've long since tightened up on our cash handling procedures.

We were considering going fine-free when COVID struck.  Naturally we waived fines during the period when the library was closed.  We've never reinstated them, although we've technically never abolished them.

I knew of one unfortunate library a few years ago that instituted fines for the first time even as others were going fine-free.  They were desperate for revenue.

Wahoo Redux

mahagonny

I heard of an adjunct music instructor persuading a student to transfer to another college where the same instructor then taught the same student for a better hourly wage. Now that's using the old bean.

Anselm

Rent out space at home with AirBnB.  I don't do this but as soon as I own my own house I plan on doing this. 
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.