Main Menu

The grading thread

Started by nonsensical, November 19, 2020, 03:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Grades are in. Woohoohoohoohoo!

mamselle

Quote from: AmLitHist on December 18, 2020, 02:17:16 PM
DONE, at about 1:45 today.  (Grades are due by 5:30 p.m. Monday.)

I'm going to try to get my spring classes all updated and loaded in Bb before it gets taken down starting Tuesday, not to return until January 3.  The incentive is that, if I can manage it, I will have a glorious nearly month-long beak to crochet, clean house, piddle around, and do a lot of nothing before we return on January 19.

Not to be a wet blanket, but knowing how all-things-IT can go...is there a way to be sure they won't lose it between the bring-down and the take-back-up?

I don't imagine you'd want to do the same work twice...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Finished today's 15! I start at 16h00 because things took up the whole beginning of the day, and I've had a headache for hours (though thankfully not a migraine, which is what I usually get), and I've uncovered two new plagiarists. Including my second-ever instance of someone copy-pasting a 1000-word chunk of the reading they're supposed to be discussing and changing a few words here and there. Sigh.

Nine more to go tomorrow, plus odds and ends.

Quote from: mamselle on December 18, 2020, 05:16:05 PM
Quote from: AmLitHist on December 18, 2020, 02:17:16 PM
DONE, at about 1:45 today.  (Grades are due by 5:30 p.m. Monday.)

I'm going to try to get my spring classes all updated and loaded in Bb before it gets taken down starting Tuesday, not to return until January 3.  The incentive is that, if I can manage it, I will have a glorious nearly month-long beak to crochet, clean house, piddle around, and do a lot of nothing before we return on January 19.

Not to be a wet blanket, but knowing how all-things-IT can go...is there a way to be sure they won't lose it between the bring-down and the take-back-up?

I don't imagine you'd want to do the same work twice...

M.

Oh man. Last year (or was it last summer?), IT deleted my course shell the day after I finished setting it up! =p
I know it's a genus.

AmLitHist

I'm going to archive my updated classes to my own media before the IT work.  If they muck something up, I'll have my classes on a flash drive so they can be copied into the Bb shells.  (And yes, this has happened in the past. I had archived versions to upload then, too, but enough people didn't and raised sufficient hell that I hope IT won't make a similar move this time.)

Great minds think alike......

Parasaurolophus

Last nine essays today, plus whatever remaining odds and ends there are. Like tabulating attendance/participation (yuck).
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on December 18, 2020, 06:17:04 PM
Finished today's 15! I start at 16h00 because things took up the whole beginning of the day, and I've had a headache for hours (though thankfully not a migraine, which is what I usually get), and I've uncovered two new plagiarists. Including my second-ever instance of someone copy-pasting a 1000-word chunk of the reading they're supposed to be discussing and changing a few words here and there. Sigh.

I once had a plagiarist copy and paste two 500-word chunks from two separate websites with nary a change or even a transition word linking the two chunks.

Parasaurolophus

Essays done, but Moodle is down, so I can't proceed until it's back. Sigh. I was hoping tomorrow all I'd have to do was enter the grades.
I know it's a genus.

FishProf

I've read all the papers from the last assignment.  No one was even close to the target, even students who have been nailing it all semester.

I blame the Professor.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

spork

A student emailed what I regard as an attempt at extortion about a project grade. "Several of us are reaching out to administration regarding this matter, but if there's anything we can do to fix this grade without contacting the administration please let me know." The student has a final course grade of B, but is obviously too stupid to understand the numbers in the LMS gradebook. I am contemplating reporting this to the dean.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Langue_doc

Quote from: spork on December 20, 2020, 11:27:05 AM
A student emailed what I regard as an attempt at extortion about a project grade. "Several of us are reaching out to administration regarding this matter, but if there's anything we can do to fix this grade without contacting the administration please let me know." The student has a final course grade of B, but is obviously too stupid to understand the numbers in the LMS gradebook. I am contemplating reporting this to the dean.

I would respond by referring the student to the grading policies in the syllabus and for this particular assignment, and copying the chair. I would also point out that the student has the option of appealing the grade.

Copying the dean in addition to the chair would also be effective in nipping this in the bud.

Parasaurolophus

Whew, finally done and submitted.

(It's so much nicer now that we don't have to submit a handwritten gradebook in addition to the three-step electronic reporting.)
I know it's a genus.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Congrats to everyone who finished grading!

I haven't had anyone contest grades (yet). Did I just jinx myself?

fishbrains

They are all finally in! Yeeeeeeeeeehaw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Note: A big thank you to our registrar who answered my desperate email while on her break.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

ergative

I'm grading a project in which a student proposed expanding the age range of a group of experimental participants upwards to include 35-39 year-olds. Such a change, they advised soberly, would allow the experimenter to look at effects of aging and dementia on cognitive processing.

I considered and rejected several marginal comments before channeling Susan Collins and noting that I was 'concerned' about this bit of reasoning.

KiUlv

Quote from: ergative on January 10, 2021, 08:23:05 AM
I'm grading a project in which a student proposed expanding the age range of a group of experimental participants upwards to include 35-39 year-olds. Such a change, they advised soberly, would allow the experimenter to look at effects of aging and dementia on cognitive processing.

Yikes! Them's fightin' words!