News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

November Research

Started by mamselle, November 02, 2021, 12:30:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 26, 2021, 06:50:10 AM
Guess I'll try to finish off the annotated bibliography part, since that speeds up finishing the rest of the section.

Things got in the way and I didn't succeed, though I did do a bit.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

I now have only one essay I have to re-find and cite to be done with the Ppt.

Then I can start feeding more materials into the text chapters. 

(And figure out exactly what I want to do with the Ppt once it's actually done...)

YEaaaaaaa!

(There are many other elements in the pipeline wanting attention, but it's good to have this one about to be born.)

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

I wasn't gonna, but the hatchling contact-napped with me for two hours so I more or less finished up that annotated bibliography, reading five articles in the process.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Quote from: mamselle on November 27, 2021, 09:25:50 AM
I now have only one essay I have to re-find and cite to be done with the Ppt.

Then I can start feeding more materials into the text chapters. 

(And figure out exactly what I want to do with the Ppt once it's actually done...)

YEaaaaaaa!

(There are many other elements in the pipeline wanting attention, but it's good to have this one about to be born.)

M.

Essay found. I was right, they're wrong about part of the issue they're discussing. Citations all completed

I was wrong about something else from a different source, and fixed it. They were also wrong about something.

(Others: 3 wrong; Me: 2 wrong: I win....)

No, I finished, so I win anyway....! Yea!

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

filologos

Quote from: filologos

• Finish (re)reading and taking notes on primary source HF
  • (Re)read and take notes on primary source H (3/4 done)
  • Finish (re)reading and taking notes on primary source M
  • Begin writing conference paper (~1600/3000 words; notional deadline: Dec. 15th)
  • Begin writing dissertation chapter #2 (4,700 words in)
Stretch goal:

• Finish writing conference paper

I don't expect to meet my stretch goal this month, but that's fine: both Chapter 2 and the conference paper are well under way. I should easily finish writing the conference paper by my self-imposed deadline of Dec. 15th, which would give me time to let it sit, run it by some colleagues, and then revise before presenting in January. I spent most of today reading primary source H; I'll finish it Monday or Tuesday.

I'm glad things seem to be progressing well, Mamselle and Parasaurolophus.

Kate

Quote from: darkstarrynight on November 25, 2021, 03:47:16 PM
Happy Thanksgiving if you celebrate! I am just venting, no need to respond. The revision we submitted in July still is under review (the initial manuscript received a very quick R&R with feedback) so I just wrote the editor to ask about the status. I included the July confirmation email from the journal about receiving the revision. The editor wrote back "you submitted the revision in October and obviously do not communicate with your coauthors." Ouch! That is such BS, and clearly the editor thinks I faked the email we received. How bizarre. This might jeopardize our getting into this journal, so I wrote an apology to my coauthors. I am so surprised the editor does not trust the journal's system and thinks my colleagues and I do not communicate. We have been wondering what is taking so long for months! Sigh.

The editor's reply is a bit rude.

Why "obviously"? How can the editor know whether you do or do not communicate with your coauthors?
And the editor guessed correctly?

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on November 02, 2021, 09:07:38 AM
November tasks:

• Submit paper #1
  • Finish draft of paper #2
  • Make some progress on getting paper #3 off the ground
  • Revisit drafted book chapter, due in January, and see if I can figure out how to add about 1500 words
  • Continue to make progress on collecting and organizing data from big data collection project (RAs working on this)

Stretch goals for November:
  • Submit paper #2 to a journal
  • IRB for ongoing project
  • Outline book proposal(s)
  • Think about new projects

My co-author made her updates, so we now have a very rough draft of paper #2. I plan to spend some time polishing that in December.

I also spoke to my co-author on paper #3, and we made plans to meet again but did not make any progress on the paper itself, so I suppose I can't cross it off my list... oh well, something else to attend to in December.

rota1234

The Thanksgiving holiday certainly erased a solid week of work, and I travelled for a different week for family commitments, so I only had a week to two weeks of work time this month. Though it was nice to take a much needed break.

Here are my previous November monthly research goals:

1. Tidy up/bolster conference paper to be presented soon.
2. Finish revising book chapter that moved slowly last month-------I'm making steady progress on this.
3. Begin new and exciting journal article based off of previous notes.-----The files are open on my computer.
4. Finish journal article that is nearing completion (I moved this down the list since my latest R/R is on a similar topic)----This is shelved for now.

I did, however, put together a reading list for a new book chapter. The new journal article is getting underway, and the chapter revisions will soon be complete.

As the fall semester is coming to an end, my list of fall goals is nearing completion (assuming I complete the above tasks). I'm going to try to be extra productive for the final December push.

Parasaurolophus

Read two articles, touched up that annotated bibliography.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

I guess I should try to finish these last two book sections. Ugh.

I also have to deal with various new issues cropping up with my parental leave, which is just really draining. I don't think it's supposed to be this difficult.
I know it's a genus.

filologos

• (Re)read and take notes on primary source H
  • Begin writing conference paper (~1600/3000 words; notional deadline: Dec. 15th)
Stretch goal:

All November goals complete, except for finishing the conference paper. That's next . . .

mamselle

I went back and made a few small tweaks, plus finished up some bibliography info I'd forgotten.

Now I've sent the Ppt out to my accountability partners and some others. Yea!!

I also started on the article and just did some additions of visuals and commentary to it.

So it looks like that's up next, although I want to keep up some momentum with the book-related-to-the-Ppt since there are visuals and text that will be shared and need to be correctly placed in the two chapters (Intro and Ch 1.) now in progress.

The Intro/Ch.1. tangle has to be sorted out as I go along--how much commentary is general and belongs in the Intro, and how much is specific to the objects I'm discussing in Ch. 1. (but still has ramifications for the Intro's general discussion as well).

Fun pickin's...

M.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: filologos on November 29, 2021, 08:44:34 AM

• (Re)read and take notes on primary source H
Stretch goal:

All November goals complete, except for finishing the conference paper. That's next . . .

Fantastic! Well done!

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 29, 2021, 08:38:48 AM
I guess I should try to finish these last two book sections. Ugh.

Wrote ~800 words and got one pretty much done, minus a little editing later. I have time to try the last one, but I'm all out of courage.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Bon courage!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4trn2lJxl00

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2itQkiQUOE

Or, in a NY accent...

"Curritch!!!! Curritch!"

M.

Parasaurolophus

I'll do waht I can to get the third section as close to done as I can today.
I know it's a genus.