News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

Good morning!

QB with help to find inanity and ratify.  Today I have three words to go.  Congratulations on QB already, Langue_doc!

LB:  I had rockaways-surged..  A rockaway is apparently a kind of cart, but I have always associated it with a certain section of Queens (thus as a proper noun).  It was a wild guess.  No 2fer yet today!

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius pretty quickly with pangram, and I think I am also down to three words now.  Congrats on your QB, Langue_doc! Hope to join you! We also needed help with tiffany, which I never would have guessed by myself (as a common noun) in a million years.  I think the only other one I was missing was trinity.

Congrats on your 2fers! Argh, I feel like I was headed in the right direction for the schmofficial solution with the contenders I had.  I also think of Rockaway as a proper noun.  Glad you tried it!

Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

Whew--just barely broke my losing streak. GWP!
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and 20 or fewer points left.

Last word yesterday was time--I seem to get the obvious words only at the very end.

QBwH and it turns out tiffany is a real word meaning a sheer cloth. And this, kids, is why I think I have only QBAMed twice.

I often get to QB by trying every possible combination, including proper nouns and words that haven't been accepted in previous puzzles. I tried tiffany just for the heck of it, and when it was accepted, assumed that it was one of the two variants for the lamp. Today I tried a proper noun and another word that the bee considers obscene, but both were predictably not accepted. Last week or the week before, I tried the name of one of our previous mayors even though I knew that the name was such an oddball that it would be turned down. That and trying all possible combinations is the secret to QB, rather than an extensive vocabulary list.

Forgot all about wordle yesterday, but solved today's around 1 this morning.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Beta with pangram this morning.  Yesterday titmice was my last word, ironic since I had seen some tufted titmice in the morning. 

LB:  No solution yesterday, but I found a quick 2fer today.

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBw2LL, last word titmice.

LB - close but no cigar with tum-marque-exposed, marque-exposed-dat.

Let's see what today brings.

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to a bit past genius with the pangram so far.  Yesterday I almost caved on my last word, but got it and QBABM (titmice, one of the banes of my existence).  Husband got QBABH as well, with one of the easy 4-letters as his last word.  I'm pretty sure it was item.  Congrats on breaking your streak, Parasaurolophus!

No luck on LB yesterday despite a lot of trying, and I don't think I would have found the schmofficial solution.  But I did get one on my first try this morning! Congrats on yours as well, cathwen! Maybe same one. 

Got very lucky with Wordle as well this morning, so I am afraid to see what the real day brings.  ;-)

Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and well above genius, but I'm stuck now.

Last word yesterday was icing.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB-1, even with hints. I was missing condoning which I could have sworn I put in. Oh well.

LB workshop-placid.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Haven't really started this morning due to a work emergency for husband, but I will get to it shortly.  No pangram yet.  Yesterday I got to QBABM and was very excited about that.  I think my final three were dicing, idiotic, connoting.

Yesterday's schmofficial solution came right away, workshop-placid.  Congrats, ciao_yall!

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Last word yesterday incognito, found with 2L hints.  Today I stand at QB-1 and am stuck! 

LB:  I also had workshop-placid.  I found a 2fer today also.

Happy puzzling!

Parasaurolophus

Didn't get there today.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and well above genius so far. Missed farad yesterday--I might have seen or even used this word in a previous bee.

potfuls/stemware

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QBw2LL, remembered farad for my last word. LB flowerpot-traumas.

Happy solving!